Akihiko (Aki) Nishio is the World Bank Vice President of Development Finance (DFi) effective February 1, 2019. As DFi Vice President, he oversees strategic mobilization of Bank resources, including the International Development Association (IDA) and the International Bank for Reconstruction and Development (IBRD), as well as a diverse trust fund portfolio.
In his responsibilities, he focuses on furthering IDA’s innovation: leveraging its equity by blending donor contributions with internal resources and funds raised through debt markets, scaling up engagement in fragile countries, and finding new ways to promote private sector development. Particularly in 2019, Mr. Nishio is overseeing the IDA19 replenishment, while managing the $75 billion of financial resources made available through the IDA18 replenishment, as well as the ongoing transition to global capital markets.
Mr. Nishio has 30 years of experience in the World Bank combining managerial leadership, technical knowledge, operational experience and a track record of collaboration with development partners.
Since joining the Bank as a Young Professional in 1988, he has held diverse positions across the institution. Before assuming the DFiVP position, he was acting Vice President of Equitable Growth, Finance and Institutions (EFI), while serving as EFI’s Director for Strategy and Operations. Prior to this position, he was Director of the IDA Department, Director for Strategy and Operations for the South Asia Region, Director of Operations of the World Bank Institute, Country Program Coordinator for China, and an economist for Indonesia in the rural development sector unit.
Before joining the World Bank, Mr. Nishio worked for the Overseas Economic Cooperation Fund (currently the Japan International Cooperation Agency).
A Japanese national from Yokohama, Mr. Nishio is a British Council scholar, with an M. Phil. in development from Cambridge University, a B.A. in economics from Hitotsubashi University in Japan, and an undergraduate diploma from the Université Catholique de l’Ouest in Angers, France.
- Pour l'IDA, la Journée des femmes, c’est tous les jours
- Every day is Women’s Day for IDA
- Para la AIF, el Día de la Mujer se celebra todos los días
- Для МАР каждый день - женский день
- كل يوم في نظر المؤسسة الدولية للتنمية هو يوم للمرأة
- Le défi de l’emploi est plus redoutable que jamais dans les pays les plus pauvres
- The jobs challenge is bigger than ever in the poorest countries
- Los desafíos en materia de empleo son mayores que nunca en los países más pobres
- Проблема трудоустройства в беднейших странах стоит сегодня как никогда остро
- التحدي الذي يواجه التوظيف حاليا أكبر من أي وقت مضى في أشد البلدان فقرا