New developments and curiosities from a changing global media landscape: People, Spaces, Deliberation brings trends and events to your attention that illustrate that tomorrow's media environment will look very different from today's, and will have little resemblance to yesterday's.The Internet is overwhelming. It’s simple as that. We’re bombarded with content and advertisements on pretty much every website we visit. Advertisers struggle to collect data on what will catch our eye and what will take us to their content. How old are we? Where do we live? What devices are we using to get to their page?
But one thing that has been overlooked often, among researchers is the ‘Why?’
Why are consumers more likely to engage with some content over others? What are the motivations behind consumers to seek out information?
A research study done by AOL seeks to uncover that ‘why,’ and explores over 55,000 consumer interactions with online content to better understand their motivations. The research revealed that people around the world are engaging with digital content in eight different ways, which this research refers to as “content moments.” A content moment is comprised of four elements before, during, and after engagement: the motivations for initiating the content experience, the emotions felt during the experience, the outcomes of the content, and finally, the topic of the content.
These eight content moments are:
- Inspire - Look for fresh ideas or trying something new
- Be in the Know - Stay updated or find relevant ideas
- Find - Seek answers or advice
- Comfort - Seek support or insight
- Connect - Learn something new or be part of a community
- Feel Good - Improve mood or feel relaxed
- Entertain - Look for an escape or a mental break
- Update Socially - Stay updated or take a mental break