Hartwig Schafer became Vice President, Global Themes on July 1, 2017. In this position, he oversees the World Bank Groups’ engagement in the corporate priority areas of Fragility, Conflict and Violence (FCV), Gender, Infrastructure/PPPs/Guarantees, Climate Change and Knowledge Management. This Vice-Presidency strengthens multi-Global Practice collaboration and overall responsiveness to clients.
In his most recent role as Vice President, Operations Policy and Country Services, Mr. Schafer was responsible for the World Bank’s business policies, practices and procedures for lending products and knowledge services for client countries. He led a number of key reforms, including roll-out of the Bank’s new policies on procurement and environmental and social safeguards and innovation of the Bank’s lending and knowledge instruments.
Mr. Schafer, a German national, has worked for over 27 years in technical and managerial positions in the World Bank, as well as the European Commission. He brings strong operational experience across several regions and sectors. His academic background is in Economics (PhD) and Agricultural Economics.
Previously, Mr. Schafer served as the World Bank’s Country Director for Djibouti, Egypt and Yemen in the Middle East and North Africa Region. He was Director for Strategy and Operations in the Sustainable Development Network. Mr. Schafer has also served as Director for Operations and Strategy in the Africa Region, Country Director for Malawi, Zambia and Zimbabwe and Chief Administrative Officer in the Africa Region.
- Maximiser les financements pour l’action climatique
- Maximizing finance for climate action
- Empowering women toward peace and stability
- The drivers of conflict: Where climate, gender and infrastructure intersect
- Maximizing finance for development works
- Maximizar el financiamiento para el desarrollo: un enfoque que funciona
- Maximiser les financements pour le développement : une stratégie qui fait ses preuves
- تعظيم تمويل التنمية يؤتي ثماره
- Why sustainable mobility matters
- El camino a seguir es la colaboración: Maximizar el financiamiento para el desarrollo
- Coming together is the way forward: Maximizing Finance for Development
- Keeping score
- Llevar la cuenta
- Stronger together: Stepping up our partnerships with the UN
- Strengthening the rules of the game: Bhutan’s alternative procurement experience
- We have to work together, focus on results to achieve the SDGs
- الوقت ثمين خاصة في شوارع القاهرة
- Time is Money, especially on Cairo’s Streets
- المدير القطري لمصر في البنك الدولي: رغم الأوضاع الأمنية مشاريع البنك الدولي مستمرة في مصر
- Furniture from Palm Trees, Honey Production and Bringing back “Ferka” Weaving
- لا مشكلة تستعصي على الحل: المرور في القاهرة يتلاقى مع إبداع المصريين
- No problem too big: Cairo traffic meets Egyptian innovation