Asli Demirgüç-Kunt is the Director of Research in the World Bank. After joining the Bank in 1989 as a Young Economist, she has held different positions, including Director of Development Policy, Chief Economist of Financial and Private Sector Development Network, and Senior Research Manager, doing research and advising on financial sector and private sector development issues. She is the lead author of World Bank Policy Research Report 2007, Finance for All? Policies and Pitfalls in Expanding Access. She has also created the World Bank’s Global Financial Development Report and directed the issues on Rethinking the Role of the State in Finance (2013), and Financial Inclusion (2014).
The author of over 100 publications, she has published widely in academic journals. Her research has focused on the links between financial development and firm performance and economic development. Banking crises, financial regulation, access to financial services including SME finance are among her areas of research. Prior to coming to the Bank, she was an Economist at the Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland. She holds a Ph.D. and M.A. in economics from the Ohio State University.
Please visit the personal webpage of Asli Demirgüç-Kunt.
- What the Global Findex Database says about Africa
- Deposit Insurance Database — newly updated!
- Do firms in developing countries grow as they age?
- Deposit Insurance and the Global Financial Crisis
- What financial products do Muslim adults want?
- Fresh off the Press: Global Financial Development Report 2014
- Financial Inclusion and Legal Discrimination against Women: Evidence from Developing Economies
- Cyprus Bank Bailout – Should Depositors Pay the Bill?
- Financial Inclusion in Fragile and Conflict-Affected States
- Incentive Audits: A New Approach to Financial Regulation
- New, Individual-Level Data on Financial Inclusion Shows What Drives Ownership and Use of Financial Inclusion
- Bank Regulation and Supervision: Insights from a New World Bank Dataset
- Benchmarking Financial Systems with a New Database
- This Just In: The 2013 Global Financial Development Report
- Small Steps Towards Closing The Gender Data Gap
- Nick Kristof on microfinance, banking access and a way out of poverty
- The Global Findex: The first database tracking how adults use financial services around the world
- Is Bank Competition a Threat to Financial Stability?
- New Paper on Financial Regulation Recognized by ICFR and Financial Times
- Has executive compensation contributed to the financial crisis?
- Economic Development and the Evolving Importance of Banks and Stock Markets
- Has the Global Banking System Become More Fragile Over Time?
- Comments on Regulatory Reform at AEI's Shadow Regulatory Summit
- Do We Need Deposit Insurance for Large Banks?
- Taxing financial transactions?