The World Malaria Day  raises awareness about this devastating disease which:
- Kills more than one million people every year – most of them children under age five and pregnant women.
- Kills nearly 3,000 children every day.
- Is estimated to cost Africa about US$12 billion annually in lost gross domestic product (GDP), slowing GDP growth by as much as 1.3 percent per year.
- Is a preventable and treatable disease – half of these deaths could be avoided.
Check out the World Bank's Booster Program for Malaria Control in Africa 
- Advances in Development Economics