Building on legislation passed in 2000, the US eased restrictions on travel and remittances to Cuba that have been in place since 1960. It announced an expanded list of countries (53 in total) that can apply for the temporary guest worker program. It has also granted Temporary Protection Status to 46,000 Haitians after the earthquake in January 2010.
and illegal migration…
Slowdown in construction activity in Spain has resulted in a steep drop in illegal migration to Spain. And Italy is collaborating with Gambia to curb illegal migrant flows from Gambia.
- Obama eases Cuba visa, remittance and travel curbs (Jan. 15, 2011)
- Fiji welcomes U.S. decision to allow Fijians to apply for seasonal employment (Jan. 19, 2011)
- Nurses recruited from the Philippines adjust to life in Finland (Jan. 21, 2011)
- Illegal immigrant arrivals on Spanish coasts down 50 pct
- Italy boosts Gambia's anti-illegal migration crusade (Jan. 20, 2011)
- Overseas remittances increase 10.5 percent in November (Jan. 17, 2011)
- Egypt: remittances from abroad increase 39% (Jan. 20, 2011)
- U.S. Sees Success in Immigration Program for Haitians (Jan. 19, 2011)