Abhas Jha is Practice Manager, Urban Development and Disaster Risk Management (East Asia and the Pacific) within the Social, Urban, Rural and Resilience Global Practice for the World Bank. He leads operations and strategy, technical quality control and risk management of one of the largest portfolios of infrastructure lending, technical assistance, and advisory services within the World Bank.
Abhas works on cities, infrastructure finance and economics, risk and resilience, and public policy. He has been with the World Bank since 2001, working on policy reform and development finance in a variety of countries including China, Vietnam, Indonesia, Thailand, the Philippines, Turkey, Mexico, Brazil, Argentina, Jamaica, Laos, Cambodia, Myanmar, Papua New Guinea, and Peru.
Abhas earlier served as Adviser to the World Bank Executive Director for Bangladesh, Bhutan, India, and Sri Lanka. He was for 12 years a member of the Indian Administrative Service (the national senior civil service of India) in the Government of India (in the Federal Ministry of Finance and earlier in the state of Bihar).
Abhas is the lead author of "Safer Homes, Stronger Communities: A Handbook for Reconstructing after Disasters" (2010) and "Cities and Flooding: A Guide to Integrated Urban Flood Risk Management" (2012) and has edited/co-edited or contributed chapters to several other publications.
- Top 7 disruptive technologies for cities
- Харин Сингапурын тухайд та юу хэлэх вэ? Дэлхийн хамгийн шилдэг нийтийн орон сууцны хөтөлбөрийн сургамж
- “Vậy Sing-ga-po thì sao?” Những bài học từ chương trình nhà ở công cộng thành công nhất thế giới
- “But what about Singapore?” Lessons from the best public housing program in the world
- China, economic reform and the role of foreign experts
- World Cities Summit – A festival of ideas for an urban world
- Can Singapore become a role model for quickly-growing cities?
- Singapore: The Pelé of urban design
- Tiga pelajaran penting dari Tsunami 2004
- Three key lessons from the 2004 Tsunami
- Embracing the Certainty of Uncertainty
- The earthquake that changed the world forever
- What Coke teaches us about disasters (and development)
- Time to wake up to disaster prevention, Asia
- Saving lives one building at a time: Post-disaster urban search and rescue in China
- Haiti earthquake: Out of great disasters comes great opportunity
- Philippines flooding: Responding to a disaster in real time
- New tools, data and initiatives coming out of the UNISDR Global Platform for Disaster Risk Reduction
- Disaster Risk Management and Climate Adaptation (part 2)
- Disaster Risk Management and Climate Adaptation
- Re: Thanks for bringing large scale distribution to our attentio
- Re: Marketing lessons for Disaster Risk Management from Coke
- Re: Interesting concepts but not much practice
- Re: Interesting article. Coke
- Re: Disasters in Pakistan
- No Excuses
- Need for silver linings
- Great comment Jian! Many
- Dear Jun Zeng-thank you so