Dr. Andrew Steer is the President and CEO of the World Resources Institute, a global research organization that works in more than 50 countries, with offices in the Brazil, China, Europe, India, Indonesia, Mexico and the United States. WRI’s more than 500 experts work with leaders to address six urgent global challenges at the intersection of economic development and the natural environment: food, forests, water, climate, energy and cities. Dr. Steer joined WRI from the World Bank, where he served as Special Envoy for Climate Change from 2010 - 2012. From 2007 to 2010, he served as Director General at the UK Department of International Development (DFID) in London.
Dr. Steer is a Global Agenda Trustee for the World Economic Forum, and is a member of the China Council for International Cooperation on Environment and Development (CCICED), the Leadership Council of the Sustainable Development Solutions Network, the Energy Transitions Commission, the Champions 12.3 Coalition to reduce food loss and waste, the Sustainable Advisory Groups of both IKEA and the Bank of America, and he serves on the Executive Board of the UN Secretary General’s Sustainable Energy For All Initiative. In earlier years, Andrew held several senior posts at the World Bank, including Director of the Environment Department. He also has directed World Bank operations in Vietnam and Indonesia and served as Chief of the Country Risk Division and Director and Chief Author of the 1992 World Development Report on Environment and Development.
Andrew was educated at St Andrews University, Scotland, the University of Pennsylvania, and Cambridge University. He has a PhD in economics.
- Big data is all around. How do we harness it to drive the change we need?
- Farewell World Bank. You’re on the Right track. And you have a Big Job Ahead!
- The wisdom of children...and prophets
- Les retombées de la Conférence de Durban ? Partie II
- Les retombées de la Conférence de Durban ? Partie I
- What Did Durban Deliver: Part 2
- ¿Cómo se pronunció Durban? Segunda parte
- What did Durban deliver?
- ¿Cómo se pronunció Durban?
- Will Durban deliver?
- ¿Se pronunciará Durban?
- The state of the carbon markets is Messy - not Messi
- Can East Asia do for Green what it’s done for Growth?
- Cancun’s Christmas Present
- A world of action in Cancun: Don't listen to your grandma
- ¿En qué consistiría el éxito de Cancún?
- What would success look like in Cancun?
- À la recherche d’un triple dividende pour les agriculteurs, et pour nous tous
- In search of the triple win for farmers and the rest of us
- Money matters: In Tianjin, Washington and Addis Ababa
- The MDGs: What does climate change have to do with it?