Anne-Katrin Arnold is currently a consultant to the World Bank's External Affairs Operational Communication department (EXTOC). Anne holds a Ph.D. in Communication from the University of Pennsylvania, where she started her studies as a Fulbright Scholar and her research focused on issues of public opinion, the public sphere, and political decision making.
Anne has tried her hand on all sides of political communication, working as a journalist and radio news anchor, speech writer, public relations officer, and researcher. She was a lecturer in social science methods, political communication, and communication theory at her Alma Mater in Hannover and at the University of Pennsylvania's Annenberg School for Communication. Her publications include articles on public opinion theory, on social capital, and on ethnic journalism in peer-reviewed journals, as well as a book on social capital and the media.
Being a true believer in the merits of an open and democratic public sphere, Anne is motivated by the conviction that if citizens had free access to information and the right to free speech, the world would be a more just place.
- 04/30/13 Pick Your Celebrity!
- 02/27/13 Stephen King Makes a Wish
- 01/16/13 Communication for Water Sector Reform
- 12/06/12 The Spiral of Extremism
- 10/16/12 Information Dumping vs. Information Intermediation
- 09/11/12 I Only Hear What I Want to Hear – And So Do You
- 08/30/12 What a Difference Political Culture Makes
- 07/24/12 Albert Einstein and Brad Pitt Walk Into a Bar…
- 07/03/12 The Optimistic Bureaucracy
- 06/07/12 Framing Climate Change
- 05/23/12 Framing Governance on “People, Spaces, Deliberation”
- 05/03/12 Three Harmless Words
- 04/23/12 Quote of the Week: David Brooks
- 04/18/12 2012: Mega Election Year, Mega Chance for Journalists?
- 04/05/12 Is There Support for International Development?
- 03/28/12 Campaign Art: No Women, No Peace
- 03/21/12 Wole Soyinka: After the Deluge
- 03/06/12 Bring in the Clowns: Humor in Political Communication
- 02/01/12 Is Media Freedom at the Heart of Media Development?
- 01/18/12 Let Me Entertain You
- 12/29/11 #3: It's About Dignity and Poverty, Not About Facebook
- 12/19/11 Quote of the Week: Václav Havel
- 12/14/11 Closing the Gap Between Climate Change Science and Public Opinion
- 12/12/11 Quote of the Week: Martin Luther King Jr.
- 11/21/11 Quote of the Week: Thomas Friedman