ASLI DEMIRGÜÇ-KUNT is the Chief Economist of the Europe and Central Asia Region of the World Bank. Over her 30-year career in the World Bank, she has also served as the Director of Research, Director of Development Policy, and the Chief Economist of the Finance and Private Sector Development Network, conducting research and advising on financial and private sector development issues.
The author of over 100 publications, she has published widely in academic journals and is among the most-cited researchers in the world. Her research has focused on the links between financial development, firm performance and economic development. Banking and financial crises, financial regulation, access to financial services and inclusion, as well as SME finance and entrepreneurship are among her areas of research. She has also created the Global Financial Development Report series and Global Findex financial inclusion database.
She has been the President of International Atlantic Economic Society (2013-14) and Director of Western Economic Association (2015-18) and serves on the editorial boards of professional journals. Prior to coming to the Bank, she was an Economist at the Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland. She holds a Ph.D. and M.A. in economics from the Ohio State University.
Please visit the personal webpage of Asli Demirguc-Kunt by clicking here.
- Financial inclusion in Europe and Central Asia — the way forward?
- Who’s afraid of big bad firms?
- Can bank capital substitute for supervision and oversight?
- Ten Years after Lehman: Where are we now?
- Inclusion financière : la Turquie peut mieux lutter contre les inégalités femmes-hommes
- Un llamado a Turquía a cerrar la brecha financiera por razón de género
- A call to Turkey to close the financial gender gap
- دعوة لتركيا لسد الفجوة المالية بين الجنسين
- New Global Findex data shows big opportunities for digital payments
- Hot off the press: The Global Financial Development Report 2017/2018: Bankers without Borders
- An Indian government effort to encourage account ownership produces surprising results
- Globalization and Banking
- What do we know about the link between financial inclusion and inclusive growth?
- The microfinance business model: Enduring subsidy and modest profit
- The impact of the global financial crisis on the use of long-term finance
- 18ème conférence annuelle sur le système bancaire international : l'avenir des grandes banques internationales
- Decimoctava Conferencia Anual de la Banca Internacional: El futuro de los grandes bancos que operan a nivel internacional
- Eighteenth annual international banking conference: The future of large, internationally active banks
- المؤتمر المصرفي الدولي السنوي الثامن عشر: مستقبل البنوك الكبيرة النشطة عالميا
- Launching the 2014 Global Findex microdata
- Hot off the Press: The Global Financial Development Report 2015/2016 on Long-Term Finance
- Research at Work 2015: Turning Insight into Impact
- Updated Global Findex: 62% of adults have an account; 2 billion still unbanked
- The 2014 Global Findex
- Call for Papers for the IMF / CFD conference: Financing for Development