Asli Demirgüç-Kunt is the Director of Research in the World Bank. After joining the Bank in 1989 as a Young Economist, she has held different positions, including Director of Development Policy, Chief Economist of Financial and Private Sector Development Network, and Senior Research Manager, doing research and advising on financial sector and private sector development issues. She is the lead author of World Bank Policy Research Report 2007, Finance for All? Policies and Pitfalls in Expanding Access. She has also created the World Bank’s Global Financial Development Report and directed the issues on Rethinking the Role of the State in Finance (2013), and Financial Inclusion (2014).
The author of over 100 publications, she has published widely in academic journals. Her research has focused on the links between financial development and firm performance and economic development. Banking crises, financial regulation, access to financial services including SME finance are among her areas of research. Prior to coming to the Bank, she was an Economist at the Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland. She holds a Ph.D. and M.A. in economics from the Ohio State University.
Please visit the personal webpage of Asli Demirgüç-Kunt.
- New Global Findex data shows big opportunities for digital payments
- Hot off the press: The Global Financial Development Report 2017/2018: Bankers without Borders
- An Indian government effort to encourage account ownership produces surprising results
- Globalization and Banking
- What do we know about the link between financial inclusion and inclusive growth?
- The microfinance business model: Enduring subsidy and modest profit
- The impact of the global financial crisis on the use of long-term finance
- 18ème conférence annuelle sur le système bancaire international : l'avenir des grandes banques internationales
- Decimoctava Conferencia Anual de la Banca Internacional: El futuro de los grandes bancos que operan a nivel internacional
- Eighteenth annual international banking conference: The future of large, internationally active banks
- المؤتمر المصرفي الدولي السنوي الثامن عشر: مستقبل البنوك الكبيرة النشطة عالميا
- Launching the 2014 Global Findex microdata
- Hot off the Press: The Global Financial Development Report 2015/2016 on Long-Term Finance
- Research at Work 2015: Turning Insight into Impact
- Updated Global Findex: 62% of adults have an account; 2 billion still unbanked
- The 2014 Global Findex
- Call for Papers for the IMF / CFD conference: Financing for Development
- How does financial development affect firm lifecycle?
- Deposit Insurance Database — newly updated!
- Do firms in developing countries grow as they age?
- Deposit Insurance and the Global Financial Crisis
- What financial products do Muslim adults want?
- Fresh off the Press: Global Financial Development Report 2014
- Financial Inclusion and Legal Discrimination against Women: Evidence from Developing Economies