A UK national, Caroline Anstey, joined the World Bank in 1995 after an earlier career in politics and journalism. She worked as Political Assistant to the Rt. Hon. James Callaghan MP, and as Editor of the BBC weekly current affairs program "Analysis". Caroline also served as Secretariat member of the InterAction Council, a group of former Heads of Government that develops recommendations on political, economic, and social issues. Caroline holds a PhD from the London School of Economics and a Post-Doctoral Fellowship from Nuffield College, Oxford.
Since 1995, Caroline has worked in various positions in the World Bank including: Country Director for the Caribbean; Director of Media Relations and Chief Spokesperson; and Assistant and Speechwriter to World Bank President, James D. Wolfensohn. In November 2007, she was appointed by President Robert B. Zoellick to the position of World Bank Chief of Staff. Then on July 1, 2010, Caroline was appointed as Vice President, External Affairs. She held that position until her appointment as Managing Director on September 19, 2011. As Managing Director, Caroline has special responsibility for the Bank’s operational services, policy and systems and its modernization drive, continuing her commitment to make the Bank an open, results-based and effective organization. She also has special oversight on gender issues.
- 03/18/13 Faire participer les citoyens aux projets de développement : le point sur nos connaissances, et sur nos lacunes
- 03/18/13 Participación ciudadana en proyectos de desarrollo: Qué sabemos, y qué necesitamos conocer y aprender
- 03/18/13 Citizen Engagement in Development Projects: What We Know, What We Need to Do and Learn
- 10/10/12 Closing the Gap for Women in Business
- 10/10/12 弥合妇女从商缺口
- 10/09/12 Cerrar la brecha para las mujeres en los negocios
- 10/09/12 La fin des inégalités pour les femmes entrepreneurs
- 06/13/12 借助数据和反馈意见推动发展
- 06/13/12 L’importance des données et de la remontée d’information pour le développement
- 06/13/12 Datos y retroalimentación al servicio del desarrollo
- 06/13/12 Data and Feedback for Development
- 12/13/11 La technologie aide à combattre la corruption
- 11/29/11 New technology can democratise development