Dan retired early from the World Bank in 2012 after almost 20 years of experience in the urban sector. He was the Bank’s Lead Urban Specialist, Cities and Climate Change, and remains a Fellow in the Sustainable Development Network. Dan joined the World Bank as a Young Professional in 1993 and has worked in all of the Bank’s geographic regions with a key focus on Sub-Sahara Africa, Latin America and the Caribbean, India, Indonesia, China, Vietnam, and the Pacific Islands. He has worked with some 300 cities in more than fifty projects with climate change components. Prior to joining the Bank Dan had almost ten years experience working in local government. Dan's academic background includes degrees in Earth Sciences, Civil and Environmental Engineering.
Dan now teaches and researches energy systems and urban systems engineering at University of Ontario IT. He is also the Province of Ontario’s Chief Safety and Risk Officer and participates on advisory boards for Waste Diversion Ontario, Phillips, GDF Suez, and WWF. Dan is widely published on urban issues such as solid waste management, climate change mitigation and adaptation, and thoughts on how to build and manage more sustainable cities.
- Boys and their Toys – Building Better Cities
- A Crystal Clear Business Case for Cities
- The End of Men: And the Peril of Cities
- Our Cities Will Define Our Future
- Cities and International Negotiations
- Three Wise Women Design the Perfect City
- Minha Cidade Favorita. Pronto, Escolhi!
- My Favorite City. There, I Picked One.
- Summerlicious and the Resilience of Cities
- Chitty Chitty Bang Bang — Call Me Maybe
- A New York Minute
- Social Tectonics and the Trust of Cities
- Rio+20 and Its Shades of Grey
- Cities Act as Talks Go On
- What a Waste: Time to Pick It Up
- Mining the City: A Proposal to Move the World
- The 7 Habits of Highly Effective Cities
- UN Environment Programme, UN Habitat, World Bank Recognize New Global Protocol for Urban GHG Emissions, Encourage its Use
- Detroit: A Biography
- Guns Don’t Kill People: Nor do Cities Generate 70% of the World’s GHG Emissions
- Earth Day: Bah Humbug
- Top Ten New Urban Jobs
- A Top Ten of New Urban Businesses
- Together Much is Possible – A New GHG Emissions Protocol for Cities
- Washington’s Cherry Blossoms: The Gift that Keeps Giving