Manager, Migration and Remittances Unit and CEO, Global Knowledge Partnership on Migration and Development (KNOMAD), Development Prospects Group, World Bank
Dilip Ratha is Manager, Migration and Remittances Unit and CEO, Global Knowledge Partnership on Migration and Development (KNOMAD) in the Development Prospects Group of the World Bank. He is the focal point for the World Bank’s Migration Working Group and the Diaspora Bond Task Force, and a co-coordinator of the (G8) Global Remittances Working Group. According to the New York Times, “No one has done more than Mr. Ratha to make migration and its potential rewards a top-of-the-agenda concern in the world’s development ministries.” Besides migration and remittances, Dilip’s research reflects a deep interest in innovative financing for poor countries: diaspora bonds, future-flow securitization, shadow sovereign ratings and South-South foreign direct investment. He is currently the chair of the Consortium Advisory Group (and previously the founding CEO) of the Migrating out of Poverty Research Consortium based in the University of Sussex. Prior to joining the World Bank, he worked as a regional economist for Asia at Credit Agricole Indosuez, Singapore; as an assistant professor of economics at the Indian Institute of Management, Ahmedabad; and as an economist at the Policy Group, New Delhi. He has a Ph.D. in economics from the Indian Statistical Institute, New Delhi where he also worked as a visiting lecturer and helped build a CGE model of the Indian economy. Dilip hosts People Move, a popular blog and can be followed on Twitter at @DilipRatha.
- Call for Papers: Institutional Frameworks for Addressing Migratory Movements in Context of Environmental Change
- Call for Papers: South-South Migration in Context of Environmental Change
- Call for Proposal: Link between internal migration and rural and urban development
- Will falling oil prices lead to a decline in outward remittances from GCC countries?
- Can Remittances Help Promote Consumption Stability?
- Call for Proposals: Value Chain Analysis of Recruitment Costs
- A $100 Billion Idea – Tapping Migrants for Financing Development
- Remittances from Russia to CIS countries likely to fall sharply
- KNOMAD Call for Papers: Vulnerability and Resilience in Explaining Migration and Development
- Voices of Migrants: Request for Proposals for Literature Review
- For your weekend musing: Does the US have space for migrants?
- Can virtual currencies help lower the cost of remittances?
- Talking at TED Global (about a hidden force in global economics)
- Webinar/Seminar on Migration and Remittances: Recent Developments and Outlook 2014-2017
- Leveraging Remittances and Diaspora Resources for a World Free from Malaria
- Remittances to Developing Countries to Grow by 5 Percent This Year
- Next Migration and Development Brief, with new remittances data and projections, will be released on October 6th, Monday
- International Migrants’ Savings and Incomes
- ¿El Banco Mundial debe convertirse en un centro de remesas?
- Should the World Bank Become A Remittance Center?
- Migration megatrends – rooted in development
- Emerging market sovereign bonds: Does it cost more to issue a bond under the English law?