Manager, Migration and Remittances Unit and Head, KNOMAD, Global Indicators Group, World Bank
Dilip Ratha is Manager, Migration and Remittances Unit and Head, Global Knowledge Partnership on Migration and Development (KNOMAD) in the Global Indicators Group of the World Bank. He is the focal point for the World Bank’s Migration Working Group and the Diaspora Bond Task Force, and a co-coordinator of the (G8) Global Remittances Working Group. According to the New York Times, “No one has done more than Mr. Ratha to make migration and its potential rewards a top-of-the-agenda concern in the world’s development ministries.” Besides migration and remittances, Dilip’s research reflects a deep interest in innovative financing for poor countries: diaspora bonds, future-flow securitization, shadow sovereign ratings and South-South foreign direct investment. He is currently the chair of the Consortium Advisory Group (and previously the founding CEO) of the Migrating out of Poverty Research Consortium based in the University of Sussex. Prior to joining the World Bank, he worked as a regional economist for Asia at Credit Agricole Indosuez, Singapore; as an assistant professor of economics at the Indian Institute of Management, Ahmedabad; and as an economist at the Policy Group, New Delhi. He has a Ph.D. in economics from the Indian Statistical Institute, New Delhi where he also worked as a visiting lecturer and helped build a CGE model of the Indian economy. Dilip hosts People Move, a popular blog and can be followed on Twitter at @DilipRatha. His TED Talk "The hidden force in global economics: sending money home" has been viewed over a million times.
Blogging on: People Move
- Increasing interest in diaspora bonds
- The Bridge City and A Rainbow Dream
- Of Markets and Men
- Enlist the diaspora – and remittance service providers – for fighting malaria
- Remittance flows to developing countries recover to pre-crisis levels
- LDC IV Conference calls for facilitating migration and remittance flows, and fostering their development impact
- Micro health insurance and the circle of poverty
- New! Africa Migration Report
- Launch of Africa migration report
- "Homeward Bond" - New York Times Op-Ed on diaspora bonds
- How does migration shape economic and social development?
- Preliminary estimates of diaspora savings suggest potential for diaspora bonds
- Whatever happened to Nepal's diaspora bonds?
- UN Secretary-General’s message on International Migrants Day, December 18, 2010
- Treat them fair
- Professor Bhagwati on a Knowledge Platform on Migration and Global Development
- Qatar's winning World Cup bid is a win for migrants
- Call for Contributions to Book “Global Migration and Remittances during the Financial Crisis and Beyond”
- Global research consortium to fill evidence gaps on migration, poverty and development
- Perspectives des envois de fonds vers les pays en développement
- Perspectivas para los flujos de remesas hacia países en desarrollo
- Outlook for remittance flows to developing countries: Recovery after the global financial crisis but risks lie ahead
- Diaspora bonds for development financing during a crisis
- Mobile phone technology and remittance services for the poor
- Who am I?
Blogging on: People Move