Global Macroeconomics Team
The Economic Monitoring Team is responsible for the Prospects Daily and the Prospects Weekly. The Prospects Daily is compiled each weekday morning to provide an update of the latest developments in world markets, focusing on growth, trade and prices, interest rate policy, as well as commodity markets, and ascertaining the implications for developing countries.
The Prospects Weekly aims to provide a review and brief analysis of developments in global markets over the previous weekly period, highlighting emerging trends in high-income and developing countries. Typically the Prospects Weekly will be posted each Friday.
Both publications include contributions from the following individuals:
- John Baffes
- Derek Chen
- Raju Huidrom
- Gerard Kambou
- Tehmina Khan
- EJ Kim
- Franziska Ohnsorge
- Marc Stocker
- Ekaterine Vashakmadze
- Global Weekly: Cartels in Commodity Markets
- Global Daily: U.S. initial jobless claims slid to five-week low
- Global Daily: U.S. consumer prices rise more than expected.
- Global Daily: Japanese government upgrades view of economy for first time in 8 months.
- Global Daily: S&P downgrades Nigeria’ credit rating
- Global Daily: Latest FOMC statement lays groundwork for rate hike
- Global Daily: Sweden’s central bank cuts rates further and expands QE program
- Global Daily: ECB purchases €9.75 billion of public-sector debt last week.
- Global Daily: Eurozone industrial production unexpectedly contracts
- Global Daily: Euro slides to 12-year low on record low borrowing costs
- Global Daily: World stock markets and oil slide on stronger dollar
- Global Daily: Euro Area bond yields slid on ECB’s QE launch
- Global Daily: U.S. private sector job growth disappoints
- Global Daily: Ukraine hikes policy rate to 30%
- Global Daily: Emerging-market stocks gear for strongest level since November, U.S. consumer prices show first annual drop in over 5 years, Ukraine central bank abruptly reverses currency trading ban
- Global Daily: World stock markets remain strong, French consumer confidence at near three-year high, Ukraine tightens capital controls
- Global Daily: Lebanon issues largest global bonds in its history, U.S. consumer confidence tumbles, Turkey central bank cuts key rates
- Global Weekly: Remittances are relatively stable and acyclical, Remittances continue to be stable when capital flows fall sharply, Large-scale recipients may be less prone to consumption volatility
- Global Daily: European markets rally on Greek bailout extension, German business confidence highest in 7 months, Turkey's capacity utilization lowest since early 2013.
- Prospects Daily: European stocks move higher on Greek deal hopes, Eurozone business activity hits 7-month high, Mexico economic growth fastest in 2 years
- Prospects Daily: Oil price falls on surging supply data, Germany rejects Greek proposal for a bailout extension, Russian economic indicators slump in January
- Prospects Daily: European shares rally as Greece seeks loan extension, U.S. industrial production recovers, Russian industrial production grows more than expected
- Prospects Daily: Stocks markets rally on Russia-Ukraine deal and Sweden’s quantitative easing, ECB extends a further €5bn to Greek lenders Indian inflation accelerates
- Prospects Daily: Equities, dollar, and bond yields rise after robust U.S. jobs data, U.S. jobs growth better than expected in January, Emerging markets start 2015 in low gear
- Prospects Daily: Greek markets tumbled on ECB move, U.S. trade deficit largest since November 2012, Ukraine raises key interest rate to fight surging inflation