Jim Yong Kim
Jim Yong Kim, M.D., Ph.D., became the 12th President of the World Bank Group on July 1, 2012.
A physician and anthropologist, Dr. Kim has dedicated himself to international development for more than two decades, helping to improve the lives of under-served populations worldwide. Dr. Kim came to the Bank after serving as President of Dartmouth College, a pre-eminent center of higher education that consistently ranks among the top academic institutions in the United States. Dr. Kim was a co-founder of Partners In Health (PIH) and a former director of the HIV/AIDS Department at the World Health Organization (WHO).
As President of Dartmouth – an institution that comprises a liberal arts college and professional schools of medicine, engineering and business, as well as 19 graduate programs in the arts and sciences, a staff and faculty of 3,300, and a budget of $700 million – Dr. Kim earned praise for reducing a financial deficit without cutting any academic programs. Dr. Kim also founded the Dartmouth Center for Health Care Delivery Science, a multidisciplinary institute dedicated to developing new models of health care delivery and achieving better health outcomes at lower costs.
Before assuming the Dartmouth presidency, Dr. Kim held professorships and chaired departments at Harvard Medical School, the Harvard School of Public Health and Brigham and Women’s Hospital, Boston. He also served as director of Harvard’s François-Xavier Bagnoud Center for Health and Human Rights.
In 1987, Dr. Kim co-founded Partners In Health, a Boston-based non-profit organization now working in poor communities on 4 continents. Challenging previous conventional wisdom that drug-resistant tuberculosis and HIV/AIDS could not be treated in developing countries, PIH successfully tackled these diseases by integrating large-scale treatment programs into community-based primary care.
As Director of the World Health Organization’s HIV/AIDS Department, Dr. Kim led the ‘3 by 5’ initiative, the first-ever global goal for AIDS treatment, which sought to treat 3 million new HIV/AIDS patients in developing countries with antiretroviral drugs by 2005. Launched in September 2003, the ambitious program ultimately reached its goal by 2007.
Dr. Kim’s work has earned him wide recognition. He was awarded a MacArthur “Genius” Fellowship (2003), was named one of America’s “25 Best Leaders” by U.S. News & World Report (2005), and was selected as one of TIME magazine’s “100 Most Influential People in the World” (2006).
Born in 1959 in Seoul, South Korea, Dr. Kim moved with his family to the United States at the age of five and grew up in Muscatine, Iowa. Dr. Kim graduated with an A.B. magna cum laude from Brown University in 1982. He earned an M.D. from Harvard Medical School in 1991 and a Ph.D. in anthropology from Harvard University in 1993.
He is married to Dr. Younsook Lim, a pediatrician. The couple has two young sons.
- Myanmar's Chance to Boost Prosperity, End Poverty
- L’inégalité n’est pas un problème insoluble, mais il nous faut un plan
- Проблема неравенства не безнадежна. Но вам нужен план
- Inequality Isn’t Hopeless. But You Need a Plan
- La desigualdad no es un caso perdido, pero se necesita un plan
- التفاوت في الدخل ليس أمرا ميؤوسا منه، لكن ينبغي أن تكون هناك خطة
- From Davos, A Plan to Fight Income Inequality
- После длительного застоя мировая экономика набирает темп
- The Long-Stalled World Economy Shifts into Gear
- Longtemps engluée dans la crise, l’économie mondiale redresse la tête
- Estancada por largo tiempo, la economía mundial se pone en marcha de nuevo
- قاطرة الاقتصاد العالمي تنطلق من جديد بعد طول توقف
- Learning from the Korean 'Miracle'
- A Trip to the Sahel Shows New Opportunities
- Jim Kim in Mali: Stability Vital for Prosperity
- From Senegal: A Road of Opportunity
- Jim Yong Kim: Turkey's Decade of Progress
- World Bank Group President Kim and Pope Francis Discuss Mutual Efforts to End Poverty
- Jim Kim y el Papa Francisco conversan sobre esfuerzos mutuos para acabar con la pobreza
- Soyons la génération qui mettra fin à l’extrême pauvreté !
- Seamos la generación que termine con la pobreza
- لنكن الجيل الذي ينهي الفقر
- Давайте станем поколением, сумевшим покончить с крайней бедностью