Jim Yong Kim
Jim Yong Kim, M.D., Ph.D., became the 12th President of the World Bank Group on July 1, 2012.
A physician and anthropologist, Dr. Kim has dedicated himself to international development for more than two decades, helping to improve the lives of under-served populations worldwide. Dr. Kim came to the Bank after serving as President of Dartmouth College, a pre-eminent center of higher education that consistently ranks among the top academic institutions in the United States. Dr. Kim was a co-founder of Partners In Health (PIH) and a former director of the HIV/AIDS Department at the World Health Organization (WHO).
As President of Dartmouth – an institution that comprises a liberal arts college and professional schools of medicine, engineering and business, as well as 19 graduate programs in the arts and sciences, a staff and faculty of 3,300, and a budget of $700 million – Dr. Kim earned praise for reducing a financial deficit without cutting any academic programs. Dr. Kim also founded the Dartmouth Center for Health Care Delivery Science, a multidisciplinary institute dedicated to developing new models of health care delivery and achieving better health outcomes at lower costs.
Before assuming the Dartmouth presidency, Dr. Kim held professorships and chaired departments at Harvard Medical School, the Harvard School of Public Health and Brigham and Women’s Hospital, Boston. He also served as director of Harvard’s François-Xavier Bagnoud Center for Health and Human Rights.
In 1987, Dr. Kim co-founded Partners In Health, a Boston-based non-profit organization now working in poor communities on 4 continents. Challenging previous conventional wisdom that drug-resistant tuberculosis and HIV/AIDS could not be treated in developing countries, PIH successfully tackled these diseases by integrating large-scale treatment programs into community-based primary care.
As Director of the World Health Organization’s HIV/AIDS Department, Dr. Kim led the ‘3 by 5’ initiative, the first-ever global goal for AIDS treatment, which sought to treat 3 million new HIV/AIDS patients in developing countries with antiretroviral drugs by 2005. Launched in September 2003, the ambitious program ultimately reached its goal by 2007.
Dr. Kim’s work has earned him wide recognition. He was awarded a MacArthur “Genius” Fellowship (2003), was named one of America’s “25 Best Leaders” by U.S. News & World Report (2005), and was selected as one of TIME magazine’s “100 Most Influential People in the World” (2006).
Born in 1959 in Seoul, South Korea, Dr. Kim moved with his family to the United States at the age of five and grew up in Muscatine, Iowa. Dr. Kim graduated with an A.B. magna cum laude from Brown University in 1982. He earned an M.D. from Harvard Medical School in 1991 and a Ph.D. in anthropology from Harvard University in 1993.
He is married to Dr. Younsook Lim, a pediatrician. The couple has two young sons.
- What Can You Do to End Poverty? Take It On!
- How We’re Taking On Extreme Poverty
- Cómo estamos enfrentando la pobreza extrema
- كيف يمكننا مواجهة الفقر المدقع
- Estado del desarrollo: ¿Por qué invertir en los países pobres nos ayuda a todos?
- En quoi consiste le développement ? À aider les pauvres pour s’aider soi-même
- Why Investing in Poor Countries Helps All of Us
- لماذا نستفيد جميعاً من الاستثمار في البلدان الفقيرة
- Le gaspillage alimentaire : un problème plus grave qu’il n’y paraît
- Food Waste -- a Bigger Problem Than You Thought
- Desperdicio de alimentos: Un problema más grande de lo que piensa
- Les 3 angles morts de l’égalité des sexes : le travail, l’éducation et la violence faite aux femmes
- 3 Blind Spots for Gender Equity: Work, Education, and Violence
- Tres puntos ciegos de la igualdad de género: Empleo, educación y violencia
- زوايا غير مرئية في المساواة بين الجنسين: العمل والتعليم والعنف
- Vous voulez créer un mouvement ? La lutte antisida est riche d’enseignements
- Лучший совет: дерзай!
- Best Advice: Give It a Shot
- El mejor consejo: Hacer un intento
- أفضل نصيحة: جرب بنفسك
- Хотите организовать общественное движение? Учитесь у активистов борьбы со СПИДом
- ¿Quiere crear un movimiento? Puede aprender de los activistas del sida
- Want to Build a Movement? Learn from AIDS Activists
- أتريد أن تطلق حملة؟ تعلم من الناشطين في مكافحة الأيدز
- Comment nous agissons pour mettre fin à l’extrême pauvreté