John Garrison, joined the World Bank in 1996 as a Civil Society Specialist. He spent the first five years working in the Bank’s office in Brasilia, Brazil where he carried out applied research, organized outreach activities, and helped supervise Bank projects, all related to improving World Bank – civil society relations. In 2002 he joined the Bank’s Civil Society Team (CST) which coordinates the Bank’s civil society engagement work at the global level. Current activities include working to formulate Bank-wide strategy, providing advice to senior management, reaching out to international civil society networks, and disseminating information on the Bank.
Before joining the Bank, John spent most of his career working with international development and human rights issues. He has worked with a variety of non-governmental, church-based, and governmental organizations in Brazil, Latin America, and the United States. John holds a masters degree in Latin American Studies from Vanderbilt University and has published numerous articles and reports on grassroots development and civil society in NGO, government, and World Bank publications.
Photo credit: Naomi Williams
- 02/21/13 Les débuts d’un fonds pour la responsabilité sociale novateur
- 02/20/13 Ya está en funcionamiento innovador Fondo para la Auditoría Social
- 02/12/13 Now Operational: Groundbreaking Social Accountability Fund
- 12/18/12 Will CSOs Follow Bono’s Lead?
- 10/25/12 When Participation Works: Increasing CSO Involvement in Annual Meetings
- 09/05/12 O Feitiço do Rio
- 08/15/12 Blame It on Rio
- 06/14/12 Using Geo Mapping to Alter the Bank – CSO Political Landscape
- 05/02/12 Why are Increasing Numbers of CSOs Coming to the Spring Meetings?
- 03/13/12 Can the Bank and CSOs Bridge the Trust Gap?
- 02/14/12 How Should the World Bank Support Social Accountability: Share Your Views!
- 12/07/11 Should CSOs Have a Seat at the Table?
- 11/08/11 Mainstreaming Civil Society Participation at the Annual Meetings
- 04/27/11 A New Social Contract with Civil Society?
- 03/16/11 Civil Society Finds its Voice in Tahrir Square
- 02/09/11 Bashing the Bank: Assessing the Efficacy of CSO Advocacy
- 12/13/10 Training with the Enemy: How CSOs Are Improving Bank Staff’s Ability to Engage with Civil Society
- 10/28/10 Are CSOs Welcome at the World Bank?
- 08/12/10 Agreeing to Disagree on the Blogosphere
- 07/13/10 Information is Power: CSOs Play Unprecedented Role in Shaping Bank's Access to Information Policy
- 06/14/10 Bridge over Troubled Waters: Navigating the Policy Divide
- 03/10/10 Leveling the Playing Field on World Bank – Civil Society Dialogue