John Roome is leading climate change for the World Bank Group.
As Senior Director for Climate Change, John not only leads a team of specialists but works across the institution to advance the Bank Group’s climate change agenda.
Prior to this assignment, he was Operations and Strategy Director for Global Practices and Cross-Cutting Solutions at the Bank Group. He previously served as Director for Sustainable Development in the Bank’s East Asia Region, responsible for working with 22 client countries in the region in the water, urban, transport, energy, rural, agriculture, environment, and social sectors, as well as in disaster risk management and climate change.
John has also worked as Operations and Strategy Director in the Bank’s South Asia region and as Operational Quality Director in the Bank’s Africa region for about five years. He joined the Bank Group in 1989, working initially in Africa. There he focused mainly on infrastructure issues including roads programs, the aviation and water sectors and doing deals for the Bank Group’s private sector arm, IFC, in the banking, mining and agro-industry sectors.
Before joining the Bank Group, John worked in Europe for Monitor Company, a leading corporate strategy consulting firm, and at Old Mutual, a South African Life Assurance Company. He was educated at Oxford University, where he obtained Masters Degrees in Econometrics and in Management Studies, and the University of Cape Town where he obtained a Bachelors degree in Economics, Statistics and Actuarial Science.
- Aviation deal: A step toward carbon neutrality
- Dự án thủy điện tại Việt Nam: cách làm đúng
- Agriculture climato-intelligente : un défi pour le monde
- Agricultura mundial: El desafío de adoptar sistemas agrícolas inteligentes con respecto al clima
- Hydropower in Vietnam: The right way to do it
- The challenge to be climate smart with the world’s agriculture
- التحدي هو مراعاة الظروف المناخية في الزراعة على مستوى العالم
- Dealing with disasters – from Japan to the Philippines and back and around
- Climate Investment Funds: The quiet motor behind our most impactful climate investments
- Using technology to stay ahead of disaster risk
- 4 questions, 4 answers. What’s next after the Paris agreement?
- Building safer cities for a volatile climate
- Climate change: from negotiations to action
- The Digital Divide: a challenge to overcome in tackling climate change
- Desarrollar paisajes forestales con capacidad de adaptación al cambio climático
- Accroître la résilience des paysages forestiers face au changement climatique
- Growing resilient forest landscapes in the face of climate change
- Should cities wait for a global climate deal?