Maya Brahmam is a Senior Communications Officer at the World Bank Group. She has managed communications for a range of clients within the World Bank, including the Bank’s Chief Economist and the high-level independent Commission on Growth and Development, chaired by Nobel Laureate, Michael Spence.
Maya is part of the Global Engagement team in External and Corporate Relations and is responsible for innovative platforms, such as TEDx WBG and WikiStage WBG. She is now developing the private sector constituency work in this team. Previously, Maya led communications for the World Bank’s Knowledge Exchange and Learning department, where she successfully launched the World Bank’s first Massive Open Online Courses (MOOCs) on climate change, citizen engagement and risk. She has developed and led innovative campaigns for the Bank; examples include the Nike-World Bank "Party in the Park" for gender equality, the first global Open Forum 2010, which opened up the Bank-Fund Annual Meetings to a broader public, and Arab Voices and Views, a high-level forum on the Middle East and North Africa. She organized and curated TEDx Sendai on the theme of natural disasters and TEDx WBG on the theme of Ending Poverty. In October 2015, she organized the first WikiStage WBG Lima on Social Inclusion.
Experienced in stakeholder engagement and relationship management, Maya has led the consultations in over 30 countries for the World Development Report 2007 and the global web consultations for the Governance and Anti-Corruption initiative.
Her areas of interest include climate change, growth and development, gender, youth, and knowledge for development. A native English speaker, she is fluent in French and is proficient in Spanish.
- A Sidekick for Development
- Lessons from our Fathers
- Globalization of Food Has a Long History
- No Money, No Worry
- Things I Learned from WikiStage WBG Lima
- World Cup and making history for women
- New thinking on digital storytelling
- Aid Is Politics: We Need to Act
- TEDxWBG : Poner fin a la pobreza
- TEDxWBG : Mettre fin à la pauvreté
- TEDxWBG: Ending Poverty
- Mandela on My Mind
- The Importance of Learning and Climate Change
- The Digital Media Academy at the 7th World Urban Forum
- Women Visible
- Storytellers Redux: A Development Slam
- All About A MOOC (Not A Moose)
- The Power of Storytelling
- The Dog Days of Summer
- The Wellspring of Ideas: Tacit Knowledge
- The E-workers
- Tapping the Youth Bulge
- Ending Poverty and "Factivism"
- Only Home-Grown Solutions Need Apply
- Aaron Swartz R.I.P.