Maya Brahmam is a Senior Communications Officer at the World Bank. She has managed communications for a range of clients within the World Bank, including the Bank’s Chief Economist and the high-level independent Commission on Growth and Development, chaired by Nobel Laureate, Michael Spence.
Currently, she leads the Open Development work in External Affairs and develops and leads innovative campaigns for the Global Engagement team. Examples include the Nike-World Bank "Party in the Park" for gender equality, the first global Open Forum 2010, which opened up the Bank-Fund Annual Meetings to a broader public, and Arab Voices and Views, a high-level forum on the Middle East and North Africa, which brought in fresh viewpoints to a critical discussion on accountability and jobs in the region. Most recently, she organized and curated TEDxSendai, the first TEDx event sponsored by the World Bank on the theme of natural disasters.
Experienced in stakeholder engagement and relationship management, Maya has led the consultations in over 30 countries for the World Development Report 2007 and the global web consultations for the Governance and Anti-Corruption initiative. Her areas of interest include youth and development, growth and development, gender and education, and knowledge for development.
- 05/02/13 Tapping the Youth Bulge
- 03/15/13 Ending Poverty and "Factivism"
- 02/13/13 Only Home-Grown Solutions Need Apply
- 01/16/13 Aaron Swartz R.I.P.
- 01/10/13 Innovations for Development: 2013 Wish List
- 12/12/12 Brother, Can You Spare a Dime?
- 11/20/12 Doing Development Differently - A Chimera?
- 11/06/12 TEDxSendai - Engaging Differently
- 09/28/12 The Story of Resilience
- 09/05/12 Media Coverage and Funding for Disasters
- 08/07/12 “Crowd-Sourcing” the Millennium Development Goals
- 06/28/12 A Murmuration of Starlings
- 06/18/12 A Shout-Out for Ostrom
- 06/13/12 Democratizing Development -- Really?
- 06/05/12 Whose Access to Information Is it Anyway?
- 04/23/12 Nurturing a Culture of Integrity?
- 04/13/12 How Do You Explain Open Development?
- 03/30/12 Interview with Jennifer Siebel Newsom, Director of "Miss Representation"
- 03/23/12 About Leadership and Lessons from Star Trek
- 03/07/12 How Do You Look At Women?
- 03/02/12 Is There an App for That?
- 02/21/12 How Social Networks Improve Your Health
- 02/10/12 Citizens Love Transparency
- 01/31/12 The New Advocates
- 11/30/11 Negotiating Globally