Otaviano Canuto is the Senior Advisor on BRICS in the Development Economics Department, a new position established by President Kim to bring a fresh research focus to this increasingly critical area.
He previously served as the Bank’s Vice President and Head of the Poverty Reduction Network (PREM), a division of more than 700 economists and other professionals working on economic policy, poverty reduction, gender equality and analytic work for client countries. He also served as an Executive Director of the Board of the World Bank from 2004-2007. Outside of the Bank he has held leadership positions at the Inter-American Development Bank where he was Vice President for Countries, and for the Government of Brazil where he was Secretary for International Affairs at the Ministry of Finance. He also has an extensive academic background, serving as Professor of Economics at the University of São Paulo and University of Campinas (UNICAMP) in Brazil.
- 05/22/13 China: The Morphing Dragon
- 05/09/13 Marrying Monetary Policy and Financial Regulation
- 04/30/13 Growing after the Crisis: Boosting Productivity in Developing Countries
- 04/15/13 Until Subnational Debt Do Us Part
- 03/25/13 Trade: The World Is Not Flat Yet
- 03/18/13 South Asia and the Geography of Poverty
- 03/07/13 Gender Equality Pays Off in Brazil
- 02/27/13 Climate Change: Get Ready to Adapt!
- 02/12/13 Brazilian Competitiveness: Folia and Hangover
- 01/09/13 Mobilizing Development via Mobile Phones
- 12/20/12 In Times of Consecutive Crises, Is Fiscal Policy the Answer?
- 12/10/12 Where Rubber Hits the Road: Reforming Public Sector Management
- 11/26/12 The East Asian Miracle 2.0
- 11/14/12 It’s Jobs, Stupid!
- 11/07/12 Revolutionary Services
- 11/02/12 Fighting Inequality to 'Bend the Arc' of History
- 10/31/12 Can Non-State Service Delivery Undermine Governments?
- 10/24/12 Shifting Tectonic Plates under Global Banking
- 10/17/12 Connecting Wagons: Why and How to Help Lagging Regions Catch Up
- 10/10/12 Jobs as a Gateway to Prosperity
- 10/03/12 Fiscal Policy for Shared Prosperity
- 09/27/12 Like a Hummingbird – From Chile to Mongolia
- 09/19/12 Not All That Glitters Is Gold
- 09/12/12 Is Shadow Banking Dangerous for You?
- 08/10/12 把就业形势发展情况用作评分工具