Former Senior Economist, Development Prospects Group, World Bank
Sanket Mohapatra is a former Senior Economist at the World Bank's Global Macroeconomics Team in the Development Prospects Group. His research interests include international finance, capital flows, sovereign and subsovereign ratings, corporate financing patterns in emerging economies, poverty, inequality and economic growth, and migration and remittances. He has contributed to various issues of the World Bank’s flagship Global Development Finance and Global Economic Prospects reports. He was a core team member of the Africa regional flagship report "Leveraging Migration for Africa: Remittances, Skills, and Investments" and co-editor of "Remittance Markets in Africa", a compilation of country studies of remittance markets in eight African countries and in France and the UK. He has been a regular contributor to the World Bank’s Global Economic Weekly briefs and Migration and Development briefs. His work has been published in edited volumes, peer-reviewed journals and as working papers. He holds a Masters from Delhi School of Economics and a PhD from Columbia University.
Blogging on: People Move
- Leveraging Remittances and Diaspora Resources for a World Free from Malaria
- Implications of “Nitaqat”, Saudi Arabia's Indigenization Program, Likely to be Modest for Migrants
- Enlist the diaspora – and remittance service providers – for fighting malaria
- Equal pay for equal work for migrant workers?
- Remittance flows to developing countries recover to pre-crisis levels
- China demographic decline will reduce future growth - Wang Feng
- Migration and Development Seminar: Management of International Migration in India
- How can post offices improve access to remittances and financial services in rural Africa?
- International Women’s Day: How Do Female Migrants Contribute to their Home Countries’ Development?
- How does migration shape economic and social development?
- Are mobile money transfer costs too high?
- Preliminary estimates of diaspora savings suggest potential for diaspora bonds
- Taxing remittances is not a good idea
- Perspectives des envois de fonds vers les pays en développement
- Perspectivas para los flujos de remesas hacia países en desarrollo
- Outlook for remittance flows to developing countries: Recovery after the global financial crisis but risks lie ahead
- US signs historic deal with El Salvador and Honduras for remittance securitization
- Can Migrants Help in Post-Flooding Reconstruction in Pakistan?
- Poverty fell in Pakistan in 2001-08 partly because of remittances - Migrants can help in reconstruction after devastating floods
- A windfall from Wall Street – for remitters worldwide
- Almost a third of Indians, or over 300 million people, are migrants
- Migrant remittances and private capital flows - Which is what?
- Webinar on Recent Trends and Outlook for Remittances Flows
- India received $50.6 bn in private transfers in 2009
- Mobile money platforms for agricultural micro-insurance
Blogging on: People Move