Sina Odugbemi is a Senior Communication Officer (Policy) in the Operations Communication Department, External and Corporate Relations Vice- Presidency of the World Bank Group. Between 2006 and 2011, he was Program Head of the Communication for Governance & Accountability Program (CommGAP). He has over 25 years of experience in journalism, law, and development communication. Before he joined the World Bank in 2006, he spent seven years in the UK’s development ministry, DFID. His last position was Program Manager and Adviser, Information and Communication for Development. Sina holds a Bachelor’s degree in English (1980) and in Law (1986) from the University of Ibadan, a Master’s degree in Legal and Political Philosophy (1999) from the University College London, and a PhD in Laws (2009) at the same university on the subject Public Opinion and Direct Accountability between Elections: A Study of the Constitutional Theories of Jeremy Bentham and A.V. Dicey.
Sina’s publications include a novel entitled The Chief’s Grand-daughter (Spectrum Books, 1986) and three co-edited volumes: With the Support of Multitudes: Using strategic communication to fight poverty through PRSPs (2005), Governance Reform under Real-World Conditions: Citizens, Stakeholders, and Voice (2008), and Accountability through Public Opinion: From Inertia to Public Action (2010).
Sina says: ‘I am endlessly fascinated by the role of public opinion in producing social and political change, especially the structural and process factors that either help or hinder that impact. I firmly believe that public opinion is an under-appreciated but critical factor in how governance works. I look forward to exploring these and similar issues with you all.’
- Quote of the Week: Francis Ford Coppola
- Quote of the Week: Peter Drucker
- "Journalism and PR: News Media and Public Relations in the Digital Age"
- Quote of the Week: Maya Angelou
- Quote of the Week: Martin Indyk
- Quote of the Week: Cass R. Sunstein
- Who Decides What is Acceptable Speech in the Global Public Sphere?
- Quote of the Week: Samantha Power
- Quote of the Week: Diane Ackerman
- #8 from 2014: The Fourth Revolution: The Global Race to Reinvent the State
- Quote of the Week: G. K. Chesterton
- 2014: The Graveyard of Fevered Hopes?
- Quote of the Week: Esa-Pekka Salonen
- Quote of the Week: Angela Merkel
- Quote of the Week: Janan Ganesh
- Quote of the Week: George Packer
- Quote of the Week: John Adams
- How to Insult Your Opponent
- Quote of the Week: Christoph Loch
- Quote of the Week: Michael Frayn
- In Praise of Cranks and Contrarians
- Quote of the Week: Brad Pitt
- Quote of the Week: Delphine Arnault
- Is the Idea of ‘Areas of Limited Statehood’ Useful or Superfluous?
- Quote of the Week: Roberto Mangabeira Unger