Practice Manager, East Asia and Pacific Region, World Bank
Francis Ghesquiere is the Practice Manager for the World Bank East Asia and Pacific Region, where he supervises the portfolio of Urban Development and Disaster Risk Management for China, Mongolia, Vietnam and Philippines. He has been working for the World Bank since the year 2000, and is known for his leadership on several flagship initiatives, including the establishment of Caribbean Catastrophe Risk Insurance Facility (CCRIF), the Central America Probabilistic Risk Modeling Initiative, and the Understanding Risk Forum (UR). He was also key in the design of new policy instruments to help accelerate World Bank response to disasters, including the policy on emergency operations and innovative contingent financing instruments such as the CAT-DDO and Contingent Emergency Response Components. Mr. Ghesquiere was the Head of the Global Facility for Disaster Risk Management (GFDRR) until June 2018. He holds a Master Degree from the Harvard School of Government and an Engineering Degree from the University of Louvain. He also studied Finance and Economics at New York University, ESADE Barcelona and HEC Paris.
- Understanding Risk Forum 2018: How data and technology can save (hundreds of) billions of dollars from natural disasters
- Securing land rights for all is key to building disaster-resilient communities
- “Arreglar” el enfoque sobre la recuperación en casos de desastre
- Mieux anticiper la reconstruction post-catastrophe
- ’إصلاح‘ التعافي من الكوارث
- 'Fixing' disaster recovery
- Fragilités, conflits et catastrophes naturelles : une approche intégrée de la résilience ?
- Fragilidad, conflicto y desastres naturales: ¿Un planteamiento único sobre la resiliencia?
- Fragility, conflict, and natural disasters – a ‘one-size fits all’ approach to resilience?
- الهشاشة والصراع والكوارث الطبيعية – هل يناسبها جميعا نهج واحد لتحقيق القدرة على الصمود؟
- What El Niño teaches us about climate resilience
- Building disaster resilience: The road from Sendai
- Getting it Right: A New Framework for Reducing Disaster Risk
- How Can Innovative Financing Solutions Help Build Resilience to Natural Disasters?
- To Save Lives and Livelihoods, Start By Understanding Disaster Risk
- Addressing the Perfect Storm
- On the Path to Resilient Development – 2015 & Beyond
- レジリエンスに富んだ開発への道 – 2015年以降に向けて