Asli Demirgüç-Kunt is the Director of Research in the World Bank. After joining the Bank in 1989 as a Young Economist, she has held different positions, including Director of Development Policy, Chief Economist of Financial and Private Sector Development Network, and Senior Research Manager, doing research and advising on financial sector and private sector development issues. She is the lead author of World Bank Policy Research Report 2007, Finance for All? Policies and Pitfalls in Expanding Access. She has also created the World Bank’s Global Financial Development Report and directed the issues on Rethinking the Role of the State in Finance (2013), and Financial Inclusion (2014).
The author of over 100 publications, she has published widely in academic journals. Her research has focused on the links between financial development and firm performance and economic development. Banking crises, financial regulation, access to financial services including SME finance are among her areas of research. Prior to coming to the Bank, she was an Economist at the Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland. She holds a Ph.D. and M.A. in economics from the Ohio State University.
Please visit the personal webpage of Asli Demirgüç-Kunt.
- Crisis Recovery and the Role of Credit: Do Phoenix Miracles Exist?
- Optimal Financial Structures for Development? Some New Results
- Generating Jobs in Developing Countries: A Big Role for Small Firms
- Do We Need Big Banks?
- The AAF Virtual Debates: Join Charles Calomiris and Franklin Allen in a Debate on State-Owned Banks
- Bank Lending to SMEs: How Much Does Type of Bank Ownership Matter?
- Bank Capital Regulations: Learning the Right Lessons from the Crisis
- The Global Financial Inclusion Indicators: An Important Step towards Measuring Access to Finance
- Islamic Banking: Can it Save Us from Crises?
- Financial Access and the Crisis: Where Do We Stand?
- Corruption and Finance: Are Innovative Firms Victims or Perpetrators?
- Too Big to Fail, or Too Big to Save?
- Reforming Bank Regulations
- Bank Competition and Access to Finance
- Bank Concentration, Competition and Financial Stability: What Are the Trade-offs?
- What Explains Firm Innovation in Developing Countries?
- How Do Firms Finance Investment?
- What Does the Financial Crisis Teach Us about the Feasibility of Different Banking Models?
- Measuring Access to Finance…One Step at a Time
- Microfinance: Dream vs. Reality
- The Disastrous Consequences of Weak Financial Sector Policies
- Small and Medium Enterprises – What Works? What Doesn’t?
- Can Informal Finance Substitute for Formal Finance?
- Life After the Crisis: Where Do We Go from Here?