Jim Yong Kim
Jim Yong Kim (@JimYongKim), M.D., Ph.D., is the 12th President of the World Bank Group. Soon after he assumed his position in July 2012, the organization established two goals to guide its work: to end extreme poverty by 2030; and to boost shared prosperity, focusing on the bottom 40% of the population in developing countries. In September 2016, the World Bank Group Board unanimously reappointed Kim to a second five-year term as President.
During his first term, the World Bank Group supported the development priorities of countries at levels never seen outside a financial crisis and, with our partners, achieved two successive, record replenishments of the World Bank Group’s fund for the poorest. The institution also launched several innovative financial instruments including facilities to address infrastructure needs, prevent pandemics, and help the millions of people forcibly displaced from their homes by climate shocks, conflict, and violence.
Kim’s career has revolved around health, education, and improving the lives of the poor. Before joining the World Bank Group, Kim, a physician and anthropologist, served as the President of Dartmouth College and held professorships at Harvard Medical School and the Harvard School of Public Health. From 2003 to 2005, as director of the World Health Organization’s HIV/AIDS department, he led the “3 by 5” initiative, the first-ever global goal for AIDS treatment, which greatly to expand access to antiretroviral medication in developing countries. In 1987, Kim co-founded Partners In Health, a non-profit medical organization that now works in poor communities on four continents.
Kim has received a MacArthur “Genius” Fellowship, was recognized as one of America’s “25 Best Leaders” by U.S. News & World Report, and was named one of TIME magazine’s “100 Most Influential People in the World.”
- Lebanon’s help for Syrian refugees is inspirational, but it needs our help
- Los consejos de ustedes a Bill Gates, y a todos nosotros
- Jordania necesita la ayuda del mundo
- Si tienes 22 años: Viaja y ve cómo vive la gente
- If I Were 22: Travel And See How People Live
- Si j'avais 22 ans, je voyagerais pour voir comment les gens vivent
- لو كان عمري 22 عاما: لسافرت لكي أرى كيف يعيش الناس
- Ce que Bill Gates m’a appris
- What I Learned from Bill Gates
- Lo que aprendí de Bill Gates
- ماذا تعلمت من بيل غيتس
- Apprendre à gérer l'imprévu : je me fixe un objectif, si je le manque, je persévère.
- Fracasos en mi carrera: Me puse una meta, fracasé, me sigo fijando metas
- I Set a Target. I Failed. I’m Still Setting Them.
- تحديد الأهداف: من الفشل إلى النجاح
- Un autre effet durable des smartphones
- Otro impacto duradero de los teléfonos inteligentes
- Another Lasting Impact from Smartphones
- أثر آخر دائم للهواتف الذكية
- Vous vous demandez comment participer à la lutte contre la pauvreté ? Agissez maintenant !
- ¿Qué puedes hacer para poner fin a la pobreza? ¡Actúa!