Maya handles communications for the newly created Global Themes Vice Presidency, which comprises different Groups, such as Fragility, Conflict and Violence, Gender, Infrastructure/PPPs/Guarantees, Knowledge Management, and Climate Change.Previously, she led the work on private sector engagement in the Global Engagement team in External and Corporate Relations. Before that, Maya led communications for the World Bank’s Knowledge Exchange and Learning department, where she successfully launched the World Bank’s first Massive Open Online Courses (MOOCs) on climate change, citizen engagement, and risk. She has developed and led innovative campaigns for the Bank; examples include the Nike-World Bank "Party in the Park" for gender equality and Arab Voices and Views, a high-level forum on the Middle East and North Africa. She organized and curated TEDx Sendai on the theme of natural disasters and TEDx WBG on the theme of Ending Poverty. In October 2015, she organized the first WikiStage WBG Lima on Social Inclusion.
Her areas of interest include growth and development, gender, climate change, youth, and knowledge for development. A native English speaker, she is fluent in French and is proficient in Spanish.
- The E-workers
- Tapping the Youth Bulge
- Ending Poverty and "Factivism"
- Only Home-Grown Solutions Need Apply
- Aaron Swartz R.I.P.
- Innovations for Development: 2013 Wish List
- Brother, Can You Spare a Dime?
- Doing Development Differently - A Chimera?
- TEDxSendai - Engaging Differently
- The Story of Resilience
- Media Coverage and Funding for Disasters
- “Crowd-Sourcing” the Millennium Development Goals
- A Murmuration of Starlings
- A Shout-Out for Ostrom
- Democratizing Development -- Really?
- Whose Access to Information Is it Anyway?
- Nurturing a Culture of Integrity?
- How Do You Explain Open Development?
- Interview with Jennifer Siebel Newsom, Director of "Miss Representation"
- About Leadership and Lessons from Star Trek
- How Do You Look At Women?
- Is There an App for That?
- How Social Networks Improve Your Health
- Citizens Love Transparency
- The New Advocates