Alanna Simpson is the regional coordinator for disaster risk management in Europe and Central Asia at the World Bank. In this role, she works with partners to identify and implement actions that reduce disaster risk and improve preparedness, actions built on robust scientific and engineering analysis.
Prior to this role, Alanna led the Innovation Lab within the Global Facility for Disaster Reduction and Recovery (GFDRR), where she supported teams to identify and harness innovation, science and engineering to overcome entrenched issues in disaster risk management. This included the development, communication and use of disaster risk assessments; open-source tool development (e.g., Think Hazard!); the Open Data for Resilience Initiative (OpenDRI); promotion of new innovation through the Challenge Fund; and international knowledge exchange through publications and the Understanding Risk Forum.
Alanna previously worked for the Australian Government, where she led efforts to improve risk assessment capability in East Asia and the Pacific. A New Zealand and Australian national, Dr. Simpson holds a PhD in Geoscience from the University of Queensland, a M.Sc. from the University of Otago and a B.Sc. from the University of Auckland.
- На нестабильной почве: Жилье в Европе и Центральной Азии
- On shaky ground: Housing in Europe and Central Asia
- Cómo las historias pueden ayudar a comunicar el riesgo volcánico a las comunidades
- How stories can help communicate volcanic risk to communities
- Celebrating 85 years of Civil Protection in Romania to thank those who save lives, alleviate suffering and protect livelihoods
- Sărbătorim 85 de ani de Protecţie Civilă în România, pentru a mulţumi celor care salvează şi protejează vieţi, şi uşurează suferinţa
- Tarihin enkazı, günümüzün dirençli şehirlerini şekillendirmeye yardımcı olabilir mi?
- Oare ne pot ajuta ruinele trecutului să configurăm orașe durabile în prezent?
- Могут ли уроки давних катастроф сегодня помочь строить города, устойчивые к бедствиям?
- Can the rubble of history help shape today’s resilient cities?
- From Istanbul to Manila—different fault lines, similar challenges
- Innovation: A meaningless “catchword” or something more useful?
- Votre projet de développement est-il vulnérable aux risques climatiques ? Vérifiez sa résilience grâce à ThinkHazard!
- ¿Su proyecto de desarrollo está protegido contra los desastres y el cambio climático? Es hora de usar la plataforma ThinkHazard!
- Is your development project disaster and climate proof? It’s time to ThinkHazard!
- Open source software: addressing some misconceptions and stereotypes
- Assessing disaster risk in Europe and Central Asia – what did we learn?
- Éruptions volcaniques : un danger à prendre au sérieux
- ¿Algo molesto, apocalíptico, o algo en un punto intermedio? Por qué no debemos relajarnos respecto de las erupciones volcánicas
- Inconvenient, apocalyptic, or somewhere in between? Why we shouldn’t be complacent about volcanic eruptions
- ThinkHazard! – A new, simple platform for understanding and acting on disaster risk
- Paying it forward in a digital age: A global community committed to a mapped world
- What does a world champion boxer have to do with saving lives in a disaster?
- Challenging innovators to find new ways to make disaster risk information accessible to all
- Better Understanding Disaster Risk: A New Dataset Is Set to Make a Difference