Hartwig Schafer is responsible for the World Bank’s business policies, practices, and procedures for lending products and knowledge services for client countries. Mr. Schafer is also leading key reforms, including the review and update of the Bank’s procurement and environmental and social safeguard policies, and the implementation of the new approach to country engagement. In addition, Mr. Schafer is responsible for monitoring and strengthening corporate risk management for operations, and for performance and results measurement of Bank operations.
Mr. Schafer, a German national, has worked for over 25 years in technical and managerial positions in the World Bank as well as the European Commission. He brings strong operational experience across several regions and sectors. His academic background is in Economics (PhD) and Agricultural Economics (MA and MSc).
Mr. Schafer was previously Country Director for Djibouti, Egypt and Yemen in the Middle East and North Africa Region. Prior to that, he was the Director of Strategy and Operations in the Sustainable Development Network, where he oversaw the World Bank’s engagement in the areas of climate change, sustainable infrastructure, and agriculture and food security. He has also served as Director for Operations and Strategy, in the Africa Region. Prior to this, he was the World Bank’s Country Director for Malawi, Zambia and Zimbabwe, and the Chief Administrative Officer for the Africa Region.
- We have to work together, focus on results to achieve the SDGs
- الوقت ثمين خاصة في شوارع القاهرة
- Time is Money, especially on Cairo’s Streets
- المدير القطري لمصر في البنك الدولي: رغم الأوضاع الأمنية مشاريع البنك الدولي مستمرة في مصر
- Furniture from Palm Trees, Honey Production and Bringing back “Ferka” Weaving
- لا مشكلة تستعصي على الحل: المرور في القاهرة يتلاقى مع إبداع المصريين
- No problem too big: Cairo traffic meets Egyptian innovation