Nick Manning was Head of the Governance & Public Sector Management (GPSM) group at the World Bank until December 2013. He was previously an Advisor in the GPSM anchor and one of the leaders of the World Bank's Public Sector Performance Global Expert Team. He was Manager for Public Sector and Governance in the World Bank for the Latin American and Caribbean Region, and prior to that he was the Head of the Public Sector Management and Performance Division at the OECD, Lead Public Sector Management Specialist for South Asia in the World Bank, Adviser on public management to the Commonwealth Secretariat and Senior Technical Adviser to UNDP in Lebanon. He began his public sector career in local government in the U.K. and, before moving to international advisory work, was Head of Strategic Planning for an inner London Borough.
Nick is Adviser to the Commonwealth Association for Public Administration and Management, member of the editorial board of the Public Management Review and Visiting Professor at the Herbert Simon Institute for Public Policy, Administration and Management and honorary Senior Research Fellow in the Institute for Development Policy and Management at the University of Manchester. He has an extensive range of governance publications covering developing and developed countries, linking public administration with public budgeting and policy management.
- Better Public Sector Projects Which Don't Matter?
- Development Assistance in Governance and Public Sector Management: Does It Ever Make a Big Difference?
- Beyond romance and nostalgia: A clear-eyed view of long term career-based incentives in the public sector
- Performance-related pay in the public sector: Experimentation with humility is an appropriate stance, given the state of the evidence
- How can we measure state capacity? Do you start upstream or downstream?
- Government choice and donor competition - a catalyst for doing development differently?
- The Science of Delivery: whatever we call it, we have a problem - a reply to Wagstaff
- The Bank's Public Sector Management Approach in practice
- The World Bank and Public Sector Management: Taking stock
- The World Bank and Public Sector Management: Where do you come out?
- Let's manage the ambiguity in "Governance"