Hartwig Schafer became the World Bank’s Vice President for the South Asia Region on July 1, 2018.
In managing the World Bank’s engagement in South Asia to end extreme poverty and boost shared prosperity, Schafer leads relations with Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Bhutan, India, Maldives, Nepal, Pakistan, and Sri Lanka. He manages a portfolio of financial support worth more than $50 billion.
Before joining the region, Schafer served as the Vice President for Global Themes where he oversaw the World Bank Group’s engagement in corporate priority areas of Fragility, Conflict and Violence, Gender, Infrastructure, Public-Private Partnerships, Guarantees, Climate Change, and Knowledge Management.
In his previous role as Vice President for Operations Policy and Country Services, Schafer was responsible for the World Bank’s business policies, practices, and procedures for lending products and knowledge services to client countries. He led several key reforms, including the rollout of the Bank’s new policies on procurement, environmental and social safeguards, and innovation of the Bank’s lending and knowledge instruments.
Previously, Schafer served as the World Bank’s Country Director for Djibouti, Egypt, and Yemen in the Middle East and North Africa Region. He was Director for Strategy and Operations in the Sustainable Development Network. Schafer has also worked as Director for Operations and Strategy in the Africa Region, Country Director for Malawi, Zambia and Zimbabwe and Chief Administrative Officer in the Africa Region.
A German national, Schafer has held technical and managerial positions in the World Bank as well as the European Commission for almost 30 years. He brings strong operational experience from several regions and sectors. His academic background is in Economics (Ph.D.) and Agricultural Economics.
- Bracing for climate change is a matter of survival for the Maldives
- South Asia: A bright spot in darkening economic skies?
- Act now for a brighter future for the Afghan people
- د عملي اقدامونو ترسره کول، د افغانان لپاره د یوې روښانه راتلونکې د تامین لپاره یوازنۍ لاره
- رویدست گرفتن اقدامات عملی، یگانه راه جهت تأمین آینده روشن برای افغانها
- Commitment to reforms improves business climate in South Asia
- Finishing the job of ending poverty in South Asia
- Investing in people of South Asia for prosperity and quality of life
- Maximiser les financements pour l’action climatique
- Maximizing finance for climate action
- Empowering women toward peace and stability
- The drivers of conflict: Where climate, gender and infrastructure intersect
- Maximizing finance for development works
- Maximizar el financiamiento para el desarrollo: un enfoque que funciona
- Maximiser les financements pour le développement : une stratégie qui fait ses preuves
- تعظيم تمويل التنمية يؤتي ثماره
- Why sustainable mobility matters
- El camino a seguir es la colaboración: Maximizar el financiamiento para el desarrollo
- Coming together is the way forward: Maximizing Finance for Development
- Keeping score
- Llevar la cuenta
- Stronger together: Stepping up our partnerships with the UN
- Strengthening the rules of the game: Bhutan’s alternative procurement experience