Jim Yong Kim
Jim Yong Kim, M.D., Ph.D., became the 12th President of the World Bank Group on July 1, 2012.
A physician and anthropologist, Dr. Kim has dedicated himself to international development for more than two decades, helping to improve the lives of under-served populations worldwide. Dr. Kim came to the Bank after serving as President of Dartmouth College, a pre-eminent center of higher education that consistently ranks among the top academic institutions in the United States. Dr. Kim was a co-founder of Partners In Health (PIH) and a former director of the HIV/AIDS Department at the World Health Organization (WHO).
As President of Dartmouth – an institution that comprises a liberal arts college and professional schools of medicine, engineering and business, as well as 19 graduate programs in the arts and sciences, a staff and faculty of 3,300, and a budget of $700 million – Dr. Kim earned praise for reducing a financial deficit without cutting any academic programs. Dr. Kim also founded the Dartmouth Center for Health Care Delivery Science, a multidisciplinary institute dedicated to developing new models of health care delivery and achieving better health outcomes at lower costs.
Before assuming the Dartmouth presidency, Dr. Kim held professorships and chaired departments at Harvard Medical School, the Harvard School of Public Health and Brigham and Women’s Hospital, Boston. He also served as director of Harvard’s François-Xavier Bagnoud Center for Health and Human Rights.
In 1987, Dr. Kim co-founded Partners In Health, a Boston-based non-profit organization now working in poor communities on 4 continents. Challenging previous conventional wisdom that drug-resistant tuberculosis and HIV/AIDS could not be treated in developing countries, PIH successfully tackled these diseases by integrating large-scale treatment programs into community-based primary care.
As Director of the World Health Organization’s HIV/AIDS Department, Dr. Kim led the ‘3 by 5’ initiative, the first-ever global goal for AIDS treatment, which sought to treat 3 million new HIV/AIDS patients in developing countries with antiretroviral drugs by 2005. Launched in September 2003, the ambitious program ultimately reached its goal by 2007.
Dr. Kim’s work has earned him wide recognition. He was awarded a MacArthur “Genius” Fellowship (2003), was named one of America’s “25 Best Leaders” by U.S. News & World Report (2005), and was selected as one of TIME magazine’s “100 Most Influential People in the World” (2006).
Born in 1959 in Seoul, South Korea, Dr. Kim moved with his family to the United States at the age of five and grew up in Muscatine, Iowa. Dr. Kim graduated with an A.B. magna cum laude from Brown University in 1982. He earned an M.D. from Harvard Medical School in 1991 and a Ph.D. in anthropology from Harvard University in 1993.
He is married to Dr. Younsook Lim, a pediatrician. The couple has two young sons.
- El brote de zika deja al descubierto el gran impacto que causa en las mujeres
- Les femmes, premières victimes du virus Zika
- تفشي فيروس زيكا يظهر وجود تأثير كبير على المرأة
- Debemos trabajar juntos para poner fin a la crisis en Siria
- Régler la crise syrienne : une responsabilité collective
- ضرورة العمل معا لإنهاء الأزمة السورية
- Couverture de santé universelle – l’heure est venue d’agir
- Cobertura universal de salud: Es hora de actuar
- حان الوقت للتحرُّك من أجل التغطية الصحية الشاملة
- Nuestra aspiración en París: Fijar el camino hacia un crecimiento económico limpio
- L’ambition de la conférence de Paris : ouvrir la voie à une croissance économique propre
- The ambition of Paris: A path toward clean economic growth
- طموح مؤتمر باريس: الطريق نحو نمو اقتصادي نظيف
- Déclaration du président du Groupe de la Banque mondiale, Jim Yong Kim, à la suite des attentats à Paris
- Statement by World Bank Group President Jim Yong Kim on Paris attacks
- El acceso a la energía es una cuestión de justicia social
- L’accès à l’énergie, une question de justice sociale
- Energy access is a social justice issue
- الحصول على الطاقة قضية عدالة اجتماعية
- Vers la tarification du carbone
- The path to carbon pricing
- El camino hacia la fijación del precio del carbono