Lead Economist, Development Research Group, World Bank
SERGIO SCHMUKLER is Lead Economist in the Development Research Group of the World Bank. He obtained his Ph.D. from the University of California at Berkeleyin 1997, when he started working as a Young Professional at the World Bank. Since joining the Bank, he has been based at the Research Department. He has also worked continuously for the Office of the Chief Economist for Latin America and for the East Asia and South Asia regions. Besides his work for the Bank, he has been Treasurer of LACEA (Latin America and Caribbean Economic Association) since 2004, was Associate Editor of the Journal of Development Economics (2001-2004), visited and taught at Department of Economics, University of Maryland(1999-2003), and visited and worked at the International Monetary Fund Research Department (2004-2005). Before joining the World Bank, he worked at the U.S. Federal Reserve (Board of Governors), the Inter-American Development Bank Research Department, and the Argentine Central Bank. His research area is international finance and international financial markets and institutions. He has published several articles in academic journals and edited volumes on emerging markets finance, financial globalization, financial crises and contagion, and financial development. He also co-authored the book Emerging Capital Markets and Globalization, published by Stanford University Press and the World Bank. He has served as editor and referee for many academic journals and institutions.
- Which financial intermediaries provide long-term finance?
- Which markets provide long-term finance?
- Which firms have benefitted from the boom in capital market activity?
- Finance and growth in China and India
- The financing and growth of firms in China and India
- Have Capital Markets Aided Growth in China and India?
- From Net to Gross Capital Flows
- Some Pitfalls in Global Investing
- Financial Globalization in Emerging Countries: Diversification vs. Offshoring
- The Influence of Greece's Debt Crisis on the Banking Sector
- Financial Development in Latin America and the Caribbean: The Road Ahead
- Triplet Crises: Lessons European Leaders Can Learn From Emerging Markets
- Unexploited Gains from International Diversification: Patterns of Portfolio Holdings around the World
- How Resilient Were Emerging Economies to the Global Economic Crisis?