Across the globe, more than 20 million children from conflict-affected countries are out of school.
Take Syrian refugees in Turkey, the country that hosts more individuals fleeing from armed conflict than any other in the world.
The influx of Syrian refugees has put a tremendous strain on already distressed public services in Turkey, particularly on the provision of formal education for refugees and their host communities. To support the Turkish government’s efforts to improve refugees’ access to education, the World Bank is administering a $160-million project financed by the European Union to help Turkey build safer schools in multiple provinces.
Launched in 2016 and delivered through the Facility for Refugees in Turkey of the European Commission, the Education Infrastructure for Resilience Project enables Turkey’s Ministry of National Education to build 57 disaster-resilient schools (equivalent to some 1,500 classrooms) until 2021, ensuring access to formal education for more than 43,000 school-aged Syrians and their host communities annually.
The project demonstrates a unique example of how infrastructure investments in disaster risk reduction can help tackle a range of complex development challenges. The World Bank facilitates the construction of schools, which benefit from improved design to accommodate the delivery of complementary education services, language training, and psycho-social support for Syrians and host communities. This experience provides a model for other governments seeking to establish resilient communities by empowering displaced populations and their hosts.
Watch the video to learn more about the Turkey Education Infrastructure for Resilience Project with World Bank Senior Director Ede Ijjasz-Vasquez (@Ede_WBG) and Senior Disaster Risk Management Specialist Elif Ayhan (@elif_ayhan_).
- Feature: Building Safer Schools in Turkey: Increasing disaster resilience for school-age children
- Press Release: World Bank Administers School Construction Projects under the Facility for Refugees in Turkey (English)
- Blog post: Back to school? Expanding access to disaster-resilient schools in Turkey for Syrian children and host communities
- Project video: Turkey Education Infrastructure for Resilience Project
- Subscribe to our Sustainable Communities newsletter
- Follow @WBG_Cities and @WorldBankECA on Twitter